Legal Notice

Legal Notice to all visitors: Google hosts this site and uses certain Blogger and Google cookies, including, but not limited to, Google Analytics and AdSense cookies. By remaining on this site, you are consenting to the use of Google cookies and other data collection by Google.

"Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster..." ― Friedrich W. Nietzsche

Definition of Bigot: a person who is intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group with hatred and intolerance.

"When the whole world is running towards a cliff, he who is running in the opposite direction appears to have lost his mind." ― C. S. Lewis

See Disclaimer of Endorsement at the bottom of this page.

Translate

Sunday, March 1, 2020

"Hic Sunt Connecticut Map 1891" - Postcard

© All Rights Reserved
(Click on image to enlarge)

This week's Sunday Postcard Art challenge was "Maps."

This postcard is meant to be funny, and isn't meant to offend anyone living in the four sections of Connecticut. (I actually made this in 2019, but never found the "right time" to post it.)

CJ (over at CJ & Ink), sometimes jokingly says that she went to the land of Hic Sunt Draconis (Here There Be Dragons) and explained that, "To a Bostonian, anything beyond the outskirts of the city belongs in the dragon realm." So when I made a day trip to Bara-Hack - Pomfret, CT, I said I had gone to Hic Sunt Draconis. A short time after that, I decided to make a map that defined regions of Connecticut with similar "Hic Sunt" terms. I used Google translate to get the Latin expressions:

here there be people
hic sunt populus
(because of its proximity to New York City)

here there be ghosts
hic sunt manes
(because of Dudleytown - Cornwall, CT)

here there be dragons
hic sunt dracones
(because that's what I called it when I went to Bara-Hack - Pomfret, CT)

here there be sea monsters
hic sunt mare monstra
(because I needed something, and it's along the coast, where everyone knows sea monsters lurk ;-)

I created this using GIMP 2.10.14.

The vintage images are from an Internet search. (See the side of my blog for links.)

7 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

This is a whole new take on CT that I didn't know existed. Smile. Nice Anne. And Happy March! Hurrah. Winter is in the wind down month now. (Or at least I hope so)Hugs-Erika

Tom said...

...I've always enjoyed the shape of Connecticut with its tail.

Deann said...

This is wonderful I love old maps...great job.

Michele said...

well this is great fun! thanks for explaining your process and your journey. i love this one! xo

Divers and Sundry said...

Ghosts, dragons, and sea monsters! Something for everyone :)

Cindy McMath said...

Lovely card Anne! So glad you found a good time to post it and your fun take on the theme.

Eileen Bergen said...

I LOVE this postcard with all the funny Latin, Anne. So clever. Eileen xx