Legal Notice

Legal Notice to all visitors: Google hosts this site and uses certain Blogger and Google cookies, including, but not limited to, Google Analytics and AdSense cookies. By remaining on this site, you are consenting to the use of Google cookies and other data collection by Google.

"Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster..." ― Friedrich W. Nietzsche

Definition of Bigot: a person who is intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group with hatred and intolerance.

"When the whole world is running towards a cliff, he who is running in the opposite direction appears to have lost his mind." ― C. S. Lewis

See Disclaimer of Endorsement at the bottom of this page.

Translate

Monday, March 30, 2020

"From Connecticut With Love" - Postcard

© All Rights Reserved
(Click on image to enlarge)

The idea for this art piece came to me Sunday morning (3/29/2020). It depicts two submarines with New York (NY), New Jersey (NJ), and Connecticut (CT) flags, as well as the United States (US) flag. A snake is riding in the lead submarine, with the message "Don't Tread On Us!" beneath the water. A triskelion logo with the words "NY NJ CT Tri-State Coalition" radiates sunbeams. The message "From Connecticut With Love" is a play on words from the James Bond movie "From Russia With Love."

In case you missed it this past weekend, on Saturday morning, March 28, 2020, a mere two days after US President Trump said he would reopen the US by Easter Sunday (April 12), Trump both tweeted and stated, "I am giving consideration to a QUARANTINE of developing “hot spots”, New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut."

New York (NY) Governor Cuomo's response to Trump's quarantine threat was to state, "I don't think it's legal," and that it would be a, "federal declaration of war."

Apparently after that, someone explained to Trump what powers the US President does and does NOT have. So later that night, in order to save face, Trump had the CDC issue a toothless, meaningless Domestic Travel Advisory for New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut. The tri-state coalition was already doing what the CDC "urged" them to do, starting one week earlier! And the CDC stated, "The Governors of New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut will have full discretion to implement this Domestic Travel Advisory." The CDC had to state that, because the US President does not have the authority to implement what was in the Domestic Travel Advisory, but clearly he had every intention of usurping that power!

For those who don't know it, Connecticut is the proud manufacturer of submarines. We even have a museum for the retired USS Nautilus:

Groton, CT - Submarine Force Museum - USS Nautilus Museum

I might print and mail a copy of this postcard to Governor Cuomo. To me, he is the only person who sounds like a Leader and like a President during this coronavirus covid-19 situation.

-----

My piece is a "cartoon" in the same vein as Charlie Hebdo cartoons. (Their "cartoon" offended me, but apparently some thought it was "funny" so, I too, can make cartoons that others might find offensive.) My piece is also free speech that is protected by the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

I created this using GIMP 2.10.14.

The vintage images are from an Internet search. (See the side of my blog for links.)

4 comments:

Tom said...

...what a lovely snake!

My name is Erika. said...

I agree with you about Cuomo. I honestly don't think Trump is smart enough to really get this virus. His story changes every day. And he certainly doesn't understand the medical side. OK, I won't continue my rant but I want to say I really like your postcard. It is a wonderful tribute to your tri-state area. Please keep washing your hands Anne and take care. Hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

I immediately thought of the submarine base in Groton when I saw your card. Interesting as the triskellion logo is similar to Füssen, Germany. I'm glad 45 finally listened to his advisers. I've stopped listening to his "campaign rallies" told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,. Signifying nothing. I'm glad for strong state leaders like Governor Cuomo and Massachusetts state Governor Baker. Take care

Iris Flavia said...

He needs to get explains his powers? And I am not even surprised...

Submarines freak me out. We have been in Wilhelmshaven on one, brrrr. I was so glad to be out again!

Ii wonder when this is over. The virus, Trump, Merkel.