Legal Notice

Legal Notice to all visitors: Google hosts this site and uses certain Blogger and Google cookies, including, but not limited to, Google Analytics and AdSense cookies. By remaining on this site, you are consenting to the use of Google cookies and other data collection by Google.

"Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster..." ― Friedrich W. Nietzsche

Definition of Bigot: a person who is intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group with hatred and intolerance.

"When the whole world is running towards a cliff, he who is running in the opposite direction appears to have lost his mind." ― C. S. Lewis

See Disclaimer of Endorsement at the bottom of this page.

Translate

Friday, September 13, 2019

"Arcana Pentacle Raven" - Wood Box

© All Rights Reserved
(Click on image to enlarge)

I made another pentacle raven wood box, using a cigar box, similar to this design, this design and this design.

I created this using GIMP 2.10.12.

The vintage images are from an Internet search. (See the side of my blog for links.)

I wanted to use an inkjet image transfer method, to transfer only the ink onto the gold painted wood box top, but the methods I used failed to work, so I ended up using my standard decoupage method.

These are the three transfer methods that didn't work, using the above design with a clear background, not the gold background used for the decoupage method:

1) Avery full sheet clear (transparent) mailing label page - I printed the image onto the clear mailing label side of the page, peeled off the backing, and placed the image sticky side down onto the lid. Despite using a brayer, the label had air bubbles and was opaque, not clear (when the package claimed it was clear).

2) Avery full sheet white mailing label page - I mirror image printed onto the white mailing label side of the page, but when I tried to remove the page, it adhered to the box top and peeled off the paint when I was able to pull it off.

3) Avery full sheet clear (transparent) mailing label page - I mirror image printed onto the clear mailing label side of the page, and the page successfully peeled off, but the ink on the box top ran / smeared, and some of the ink remained on the clear sheet, so it wasn't a 100% transfer. The ink smearing was so bad it was unusable.

So far, the best method to get a 100% ink transfer is still the Highline Guitars inkjet image transfer method, but it's not simple to do, and the crease lines for peeling off the label(s) appear as lines in the transferred image.

6 comments:

Tom said...

...life is all about trial and error.

CJ Kennedy said...

However you were able to transfer your design, it looks good. What a nifty treasure box that will make.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Great box design. I'm very fond of altering stuff that would otherwise probably end up in the trash so well done you xXx

Valerie-Jael said...

This looks beautiful Anne. Did you ever try an image transfer with turpentine? Valerie

My name is Erika. said...

What a cool box Anne. This came out really beautiful. You can store secret treasures in it for sure. Hugs-Erika

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've only had ONE transfer that worked with my inkjet printer. All the rest required toner. I get the best transfers from magazine images, though. Your box is truly gorgeous. I really like that image.