Legal Notice

Legal Notice to all visitors: Google hosts this site and uses certain Blogger and Google cookies, including, but not limited to, Google Analytics and AdSense cookies. By remaining on this site, you are consenting to the use of Google cookies and other data collection by Google.

"Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster..." ― Friedrich W. Nietzsche

Definition of Bigot: a person who is intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group with hatred and intolerance.

"When the whole world is running towards a cliff, he who is running in the opposite direction appears to have lost his mind." ― C. S. Lewis

See Disclaimer of Endorsement at the bottom of this page.

Translate

Wednesday, February 3, 2016

"Pentacle Raven Box" - Wood Box

  © All Rights Reserved
  © All Rights Reserved
  © All Rights Reserved
© All Rights Reserved
(Click on image to enlarge)
I created this gold Pentacle Raven wood playing card box after seeing a wooden box with a similar design. I originally made a Pentacle Raven Postcard, but I had to recreate my design because the box dimensions were slightly different (6" x 4 1/2" with a 1/8" beveled edge).

I created this using GIMP 2.8.16.

The vintage images are from an Internet search. (See the side of my blog for links.)

The photographs don't adequately show how beautiful this magical box came out! It will be a treasured keepsake for me, for years to come!

Because everything in my design is old, I am also entering it in this week's Tuesday's Treasures (second entry this week).


Materials:

Walnut Hollow Basswood Box Card Box (1704OP)

Martha Stewart Vintage Gold Metallic Paint (346 433 / M18121)

Delta (Plaid) Ceramcoat Gloss Interior Varnish

Liquitex Matte Gel Medium

Steps:

I painted the box with one coat of Martha Stewart Vintage Gold Metallic Paint. (First the outside, then after that was dry, the inside. I had wax paper underneath the box.)

I printed my Pentacle Raven box decoupage panels on card stock, then cut them out. I placed them on the dry box, and made fine adjustment cuts to them so that they would fit on the flat part of the box, and not extend into the bevel sections.

I allowed 24 hours for the inkjet ink to dry completely on the card stock paper. (Note: the ink still ran a little, but not enough to ruin the appearance of the design.)

I placed a rubber band around the box, to keep it shut.

I applied a thin layer of Delta (Plaid) Ceramcoat Gloss Interior Varnish to one side of the box. I carefully lined up and placed the side decoupage panel onto the box. (Note: there is a very short period of time to adjust the panel a little bit, if it is slightly crooked.) I pressed all over the panel with my fingers to adhere it to the gloss coat and remove any air bubbles. (I forgot to get out my decoupage brayer roller, so I had to improvise.)

I repeated that decoupage step on the other side of the box.

I carefully removed the rubber band, making sure not to touch the sides. (The side panels were now keeping the box shut.)

I repeated the decoupage step for the front of the box.

I repeated the decoupage step for the top of the box.

I placed the box back on the wax paper and allowed time for it to dry.

I used an Xacto Knife to cut the front and side panels along the box opening seams. I had to rock the razor blade edge back and forth to penetrate the seam, and I ended up mis-cutting in one area. At first I thought the box was ruined, but because I wanted a vintage look to the box, I determined that the minor flaw would be within acceptable limits.

I touched up the box top and bottom lid edges with the gold paint, to cover any places where the razor blade had cut away the paint, and to paint the small section of bare wood where I mis-cut the opening. I allowed time for that to dry.

I applied a thin layer of Delta (Plaid) Ceramcoat Gloss Interior Varnish to the top, front, and sides of the box, to coat the decoupage panels. (Note: this is when the inkjet ink ran a little, but not enough to ruin the appearance of the design.) I also applied it to the top and bottom lid edges, then allowed time for the box to dry.

I repeated that step, to apply a second coat, and allowed time for it to dry.

I applied a thin layer of Liquitex Matte Gel Medium to the entire inside of the box (except for the lid edges) and allowed time for it to dry.

I applied a thin layer of Delta (Plaid) Ceramcoat Gloss Interior Varnish to the back and bottom of the box and allowed time for it to dry.

I decided I didn't need any additional coats, and the box was done!

5 comments:

Tom said...

Anne, what a creative gal you are. Thanks for sharing.

Cranberry Morning said...

Sounds like a treasure to you. It's very pretty..

Mary said...

This is so beautiful! I would love to see it in person. It was great that you posted the detailed instructions.

Tony McGurk said...

When I saw the photos I thought "Wow, what a beautiful old box". Then I read on & discovered you created it that way. You sure did a great job of it Anne. It looks so genuine to me

Mascha said...

A wonderful treasure box, fill it with things and thoughts...