Legal Notice

Legal Notice to all visitors: Google hosts this site and uses certain Blogger and Google cookies, including, but not limited to, Google Analytics and AdSense cookies. By remaining on this site, you are consenting to the use of Google cookies and other data collection by Google.

"Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster..." ― Friedrich W. Nietzsche

Definition of Bigot: a person who is intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group with hatred and intolerance.

"When the whole world is running towards a cliff, he who is running in the opposite direction appears to have lost his mind." ― C. S. Lewis

See Disclaimer of Endorsement at the bottom of this page.

Translate

Tuesday, August 20, 2019

"T Stands For Teddy On Picnic Table" - Photograph

© All Rights Reserved
© All Rights Reserved
(Click on image to enlarge)

I am joining Bleubeard and Elizabeth for this week's T Stands For challenge found here.

This is my summation of the past week:

Those are more photos of Teddy that I took during our trip to Putnam Memorial State Park a few weeks ago.

I needed a ticket into this week's T-gathering, so I made a tea art piece:

"Tea Time" blog post link  (<== click on that link to find larger version of below image)


The weather got progressively hotter and more humid this past week, culminating in a Heat Advisory for Sunday and Monday. Around 4:30 PM Monday (yesterday), a severe line of thunderstorms formed and came through the area.

Shortly before the storm reached my house, my cat became extremely agitated, worse than I've ever seen him react to a thunderstorm. I became concerned, because they say animals can sense weather danger. I accompanied him to the place where he usually hides, but at first he clung to my side as he paced around me while I petted him. At the sound of the first lightning bolt striking in close proximity, he scrambled under a piece of furniture where he remained hidden for the duration.

I thought the storm had passed, but he still didn't come out. Then another lightning bolt struck very close by, so he knew it wasn't over yet. Fortunately I didn't lose electricity. There was a lot of tree and power line damage in a large area of Connecticut, and some flash flooding on roads due to about 0.9 inches of rain falling in about a half hour. You can see all of the lightning strikes on this map, assuming the link works correctly and shows yesterday (update: the link isn't working correctly).

I had fun making some Storm Area 51 on September 20, 2019 postcards and a raid map: Alien Storm Troopers, more Alien Storm Troopers, an Alien waiting to be freed (what could possibly go wrong freeing him?), and an Alien and Flying Saucer. (If you haven't heard about "Storm Area 51" do a search on that phrase, and you'll find articles about it. "They can't stop all of us!" I'm not on Facebook or else I would've signed up to indicate I would be "attending" the event. However, I heard the Air Force didn't have a sense of humor, and the Facebook event page got pulled down by Big Brother.)

I made a few other postcards: Whispers, Celestial Woman, and Tea Time.

I also made some tags: Yellow Roses and Flower Girl.

Teddy and I went to Trout Brook Valley Preserve, but we didn't see any bears. The trail I took to try to reach a scenic overlook turned out to be too steep for me to navigate, so I had to turn back. But I did see a heart shaped leaf on the ground, and a tree that looked like one of the talking trees from The Wizard Of Oz. Teddy insisted he heard the tree mutter something about apples, but I didn't hear anything.

I think the reason why Connecticut (CT) has Black Bear warning signs, and places like New Hampshire (NH) don't, might be because Black Bears are slowly making a come back in this state, so we aren't used to them being around, especially in the southern part of the state, unlike NH, where they are used to them being around. (Back in June 2011, a mountain lion was struck and killed by a car on the Merritt Parkway near exit 55 in Milford, CT. Initially, the DEP claimed it was someone's escaped exotic pet, because there aren't any mountain lions in the wild on the east coast. However, "DNA tests came back and determined this cat had come all the way from the black hills of South Dakota.")

I saw another heart shaped object on the ground, this time a large rock at the beach.

I also took a photo of the moon this morning.

Over the weekend, we watched Gaslight (1944) (DVD), Black Widow (1954) (DVD), Dangerous Crossing (1953) (DVD), Call Northside 777 (1948) (DVD), Laura (1944) (DVD), and Village of the Damned (1960) (DVD).

I'm late posting today because of Teddy. I couldn't get on my computer for awhile because I found him using it, studying nautical maps and tide charts. When I asked him what he was doing, he said he wants us to go to Charles Island, to see the ruins there and look for ghosts. I told Teddy the island is only accessible from shore via a sandbar (tombolo) at low tide, so we need to find out how much time before and after low tide that sandbar is exposed for walking across, before we even attempt to make the crossing.

12 comments:

Tom said...

...a picnic all by himself?

My name is Erika. said...

Thanks for that thought about black bear warning signs. That makes a lot of sense. Yes, I knew about the mountain lion incident (there's a good book about it) as I am one of these folks who believes we have a few in NH, even though I have never seen one in the wild, but I have seen bobcat here. Teddy looks like he enjoys the picnic table and might even like a pot of honey (smile). I hope it was a great T day Anne. Hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

Beg to differ, but Teddy's not on a picnic table, he's on a picnic bench. 😉 That was interesting about your kitty. Ink never seemed to be bothered by thunderstorms. The storms you had went north and south of my location. We heard some thunder, but that was about it. Going to Charles Island sounds like an interesting trip. Does someone have a tour there so you could safely get to and from? Another round of storms tomorrow and Thurs. then some cooler weather. Stay safe and cool.

Valerie-Jael said...

Teddy is looking good, but I think he's waiting to be served with his picnic. You got a lot done this past week, even if you didn't see any bears. Hope your T day was a good one. Hugs, Valerie

Valerie-Jael said...

And I love the postcard you made!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

It's too bad more people weren't using the park facilities. So glad you and Teddy had a chance to enjoy it.

We've been under a heat warning for three days. It's supposed to be lifted at 9 pm tomorrow night. Today it was 103 at 5 pm with a heat index of 116. My AC has worked steady since Saturday. I feel sorry for my European friends who don't have AC.

Bleubeard is a bit like your cat. He insists on going to the basement when there's signs of a storm. He sits on a chair in the safest part of the basement, while Squiggles and I sit under the AC in my office on the second floor of the house. There are windows all around the room, so it's the least safe room in the entire home, but we are both pretty stupid and seemingly uncaring. It's amazing how different these two cats are. However, when I'm gone for any length of time, like more than four hours, Squiggles won't let me out of his sight, while Bleubeard could care less that I'm back. I can't explain it how one cat can sense weather danger and one is oblivious to it. Yours and Bleubeard would get along great.

Too bad the Storm Area 51 event may not be happening this year. I'm also not on FB, but was enjoying reading about the event when I'd do internet searches.

I'm amazed by your lion story and struck by how different NH and CT are with their black bear concerns. Not sure what DEP is, but was glad to see they did DNA testing to confirm where the lion came from originally. Wonder how it got all the way to CT.

Good luck learning about Charles Island. I hope you find out how long you can stay without getting caught there overnight.

LOVE your Tea postcard. The butterfly is beautiful and I loved that background. Thanks for joining us for T this Tuesday (although it is now Wednesday), dear Anne and Teddy.

Divers and Sundry said...

Oh, for pity's sake :( I hadn't realized they'd taken down the Area 51 event page. Spoilsports. Humph!

I think we need to have a virtual teddy bear picnic so our bears can get to know each other ;) There's an actual day for that, but I forget when it is. The walk via sandbar sounds interesting. Teddy has great ideas :)

Laura is one of the best movies ever! And Gaslight seems especially appropriate in these days. I enjoyed Village of the Damned but have only seen it once. I'll be googling those others. Thx!

Lisca said...

Interesting to hear about the cat and the premonition. When living in Italy we got prewarned by the cats and dogs that something was amiss, and if there wasn't a severe weather warning then it must be an earth quake and many time it was! On one occasion my three year old son started behaving strangely one minute before the earth quake. Amazing.
Your vintage image with the butterfly is gorgeous.
Happy belated T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca


Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

A bunch of us T-ladies had really bad storms last week. I was one. I'm glad you, kitty and Teddy are okay. Teddy is certainly "smarter than the average bear." 😉

The wild life facts for your area are very interesting. You and Teddy be sure to stay on the path during your outdoor adventures.

Happy T-day! Eileen xx

Meggymay said...

I hope Teddy enjoyed the picnic and you had a good tine out. The storm sounds a real noisy one. It is so hard to comfort our pets during these storms. When we had dogs it was a case of giving them lots of hugs and trying to comfort them. Meg our last Collie needed to get behind one of out large chairs in a corner and stayed there for hours. Belated T day wishes.
Yvonne xx

Caty said...

Ohhhh I love Teddy at the picnic table, he looks very happy. I don´t like storms, like your little cat, by chance, we only have one or two per year here, but we need much more rain.
Thanks for your interesting comments about black bears, and about Storm Area 51. Hope you had a very nice T-day. And I loove your tea page, it´s really wonderful, the flowers are so great.
I wish you a very nice Friday, and send big hugs,
Caty

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Teddy xxx