Legal Notice

Legal Notice to all visitors: Google hosts this site and uses certain Blogger and Google cookies, including, but not limited to, Google Analytics and AdSense cookies. By remaining on this site, you are consenting to the use of Google cookies and other data collection by Google.

"Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster..." ― Friedrich W. Nietzsche

Definition of Bigot: a person who is intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group with hatred and intolerance.

"When the whole world is running towards a cliff, he who is running in the opposite direction appears to have lost his mind." ― C. S. Lewis

See Disclaimer of Endorsement at the bottom of this page.

Translate

Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Second on the 2nd: "Rustic" - Spirit Talking Board

This is my entry for Altered Book Lover Bleubeard and Elizabeth's "Second on the 2nd" theme. This is from October 2016. I had visions of grandeur for producing and selling my own Ouija Spirit Talking Boards and Planchettes, but it was too impractical and expensive to do. Plus, I don't know how to market anything, and the demand for these is probably low. At one point, I tried contacting Arthur Hamling at Hasbro via my LinkedIn account about my Ouija board design, but he didn't respond. He probably gets inundated with messages like mine. I own two Hasbro Ouija boards, the classic one and a rustic one.

I'm neutral on whether or not Ouija Boards really work. I recently looked at this Spirit Talking Board that I had made back in 2016, and the air pockets are still there, which I'm not happy about, so it was a partial failure anyway.

Below is the contents of my original blog post, that I am sharing again today:

© All Rights Reserved
(Click on image to enlarge)

I used Vistaprint to print my "Rustic" Ouija Board design. The poster arrived a few days early, so I was able to complete the board this weekend, in time for Halloween. I had to use an oversized poster (16" x 20") and cut it down to fit to 12" x 16". I also needed to cut off the 1/4" margin that I had allowed.

I used an Elmer's Washable School Glue Stick to adhere the poster to the hardboard. I mistakenly didn't coat the full back of the poster, so there were some air pockets, but not enough to interfere with the poster laying flat and working correctly as a "Spirit Talking Board" (Ouija Board).

I used the following for the board:

Pro Art Hardboard Panel, 12"-by-16", 12x16

The total cost was on the expensive side, so if I want to "mass" produce boards, I'll need to find a way to get my costs down.

Also, I need to produce an accompanying planchette. I have a design for one, but it needs to be cut out of the wood I applied it to. But I need a more practical production method for that, too.

9 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

That's a fun ouija board that it made, and definitely just right with Halloween coming up. And did you get any messages when using it? Happy 2nd on the 2nd, Valerie

Tom said...

...a subject that I know little about.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I think it was a grand idea and concept, but I wouldn't know how to give you advice for keeping your cost down, either. I absolutely LOVE the rustic look. I was just talking to a friend who thought I should sell my art, but I said I had no idea how to market it and get what it was actually worth. In the meantime, I give it all away. I suspect you hung onto your Ouija board. It is lovely. Thanks for digging this up and sharing it with us as a second look on the 2nd, Anne.

CJ Kennedy said...

Love the design. I don't remember the Ouija board I played with as a kid looking that pretty.

kathyinozarks said...

I remember those boards-we even got one as kids my sister and I would play with them allot-when Mom wasn't looking as she didn't like them lol
How cool you made one! thanks for sharing this second look Hugs Kathy

Bill said...

that's a nice design, Anne. A friend of mine long ago used to have a Ouija Board and we used to play with it and see what answers we would get. I guess they were the hot item back in the day. I didn't know they still made them.

Sharon Madson said...

Quite interesting about your ambitious endeavor. Too bad it didn't work out for you. About those boards; we used to play around with them when kids. I always thought people were cheating. LOL

Divers and Sundry said...

I still have my old Ouija Board. I've never seen anything like this.

My name is Erika. said...

I used to have a Ouija board, but I am not sure what happened to it. I like yours. Too bad you never heard back from Hasbro but maybe it is meant to be an art piece. Happy October 2 Hugs-Erika