Legal Notice

Legal Notice to all visitors: Google hosts this site and uses certain Blogger and Google cookies, including, but not limited to, Google Analytics and AdSense cookies. By remaining on this site, you are consenting to the use of Google cookies and other data collection by Google.

"Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster..." ― Friedrich W. Nietzsche

Definition of Bigot: a person who is intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group with hatred and intolerance.

"When the whole world is running towards a cliff, he who is running in the opposite direction appears to have lost his mind." ― C. S. Lewis

See Disclaimer of Endorsement at the bottom of this page.

Translate

Saturday, October 10, 2015

"Fall" - Tag

© All Rights Reserved
© All Rights Reserved
© All Rights Reserved
© All Rights Reserved
© All Rights Reserved
© All Rights Reserved
(Click on image to enlarge)
I created a Fall themed tag, after seeing and being inspired by Jennie Atkinson's tag for A Vintage Journey.

I created this using GIMP 2.8.14.

The vintage images are from an Internet search. (See the side of my blog for links.)

The font is Garamond Bold.

I have shown the steps I did, to create this, and describe them below:

Step 1: I was originally going to use a diamond pattern like the inspiration tag, but then I found the diamond shape that I ended up using instead. I used a GIMP script that I had written awhile ago to replicate the shape, then added a layer mask to erase it along a diagonal. I liked how the faded part looked, so I didn't fully erase it.

Step 2: I added ink spray using a GIMP brush, then applied a Gaussian Blur filter on that layer.

Step 3: I didn't think my tag looked close enough to the inspiration tag, so I added another layer and used a larger brush to create a larger inked area. I added a layer mask and erased some of the ink. I also reduced the layer opacity to get the desired shade of gray.

Step 4: I added text from an old book. I added a layer mask to erase it along a diagonal, and reduced the layer opacity to get a faded look similar to the inspiration tag.

Step 5: Looking at the tag after Step 4, I liked the golden tones that I saw in it, so I decided to spritz gold onto it. I added a "gold flecks" layer to do that. (The gold flecks were from an old book page that I had previously converted into a PNG file. I have used those gold flecks in several art pieces over time, and converted a few more of those pages while working on this tag.)

Step 6: I found an old book page with various leaves on it, and used the Oak leaves from it. I got the fern type leaf from another old book page. I decided to use a bright red Fall color flower, instead of a white flower, and found one on an old catalog page. (In all cases, I needed to convert the pages to PNG files first, which is a manual process.) I used a brush to paint the leaves in a golden Fall color. I needed to reduce the size of the flower to make it more proportional. I added a drop shadow to all of the elements, to give some depth to them. Then I added the word Fall with a layer of silver paint covered by a layer of gold paint to make the word stand out better.

This is a Tim Holtz style art piece. I admire his work, and appreciate that he and other artists show the steps they do to create their artwork. I have been struggling with my creative side lately, so finding pieces that inspire me is helpful.

I am entering my tag in the following:

NF Digital Art Meme

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the bordeaux-red STIEFMÜTTERCHEN.
Herzlich Pippa

Sharon Wagner said...

Good job. Love the type background.

crafty-stamper said...

Beautiful tag love the papers and floral image-great step by step too
Carol x

NatureFootstep said...

I love your FALL tag. Very beautiful.

Maybe you would like to join in my Digital Art Meme the coming Wednesday? Would love to see it there.

nfverk.blogspot.com

SewPaperPaint said...

Great tag - such cool layers!

NatureFootstep said...

thanks for adding me to your list :)

Words and Pictures said...

Stunning antique feel to this piece - and it's wonderful to see the layers building up. Thanks for sharing those process photos - it's the part I really enjoy very often!!
Alison xx

NatureFootstep said...

thanks for linking up at NF DAM :)