Legal Notice

Legal Notice to all visitors: Google hosts this site and uses certain Blogger and Google cookies, including, but not limited to, Google Analytics and AdSense cookies. By remaining on this site, you are consenting to the use of Google cookies and other data collection by Google.

"Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster..." ― Friedrich W. Nietzsche

Definition of Bigot: a person who is intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group with hatred and intolerance.

"When the whole world is running towards a cliff, he who is running in the opposite direction appears to have lost his mind." ― C. S. Lewis

See Disclaimer of Endorsement at the bottom of this page.

Translate

Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Possible Piebald / Three Legged Deer / No Right Back Leg / White Nose / Possible Malformed Right Back Leg With Hoof (1 of 2) - Photograph

© All Rights Reserved
© All Rights Reserved
© All Rights Reserved
(Click on image to enlarge)

This is 1 of 2 posts of photographs that I took this week.

Dec 31, 2021 update: per a response from https://www.nyantler-outdoors.com, this is not a piebald deer.

I saw this deer in my yard and got my camera when I realized it appeared to have a partially missing back right leg. I assumed it had been hit by a car or attacked by coyotes but survived the injury it had sustained.

However, as I watched the deer walking, it looked like it was attempting to extend its back right leg as if it had a normal length leg there. But the leg, which only extended a few inches past the elbow joint, was too short to touch the ground. Another feature of the deer seemed unusual: it had what looked like a white ring of fur around the base of its nose.

Upon closer examination of my photographs, it almost looks like the deer actually has an ankle and hoof on the back right leg when it is walking (i.e. extending the legs in motion), but that hoof is retracted inward when the deer is standing eating. So it seems like this could be a malformed right back leg, not an injury as I initially thought.

I did some Internet searching, and it is possible this is a piebald deer.

https://www.nyantler-outdoors.com/piebald-deer.html

Any comments assisting in identification of what might be going on with this deer are appreciated. I don’t know when I will see this deer again, because deer typically range over a large territory.

3 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

I'd feel bad for the deer but she seems to be getting around and doing OK. And she's not a little fawn either. Its amazing what we can see right from our homes, isn't it?

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Could this be a birth defect? I hope the deer survives, since it seems to be malformed. Nice photos.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Hi Anne: I have no ready explanation for the deer's condition, although it would appear to be congenital. It has obviously learned to cope with its disability, but were there a normal predator/prey relationship in your area, I doubt it would have survived so long. Admire it for its tenacity!