Legal Notice

Legal Notice to all visitors: Google hosts this site and uses certain Blogger and Google cookies, including, but not limited to, Google Analytics and AdSense cookies. By remaining on this site, you are consenting to the use of Google cookies and other data collection by Google.

"Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster..." ― Friedrich W. Nietzsche

Definition of Bigot: a person who is intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group with hatred and intolerance.

"When the whole world is running towards a cliff, he who is running in the opposite direction appears to have lost his mind." ― C. S. Lewis

See Disclaimer of Endorsement at the bottom of this page.

Translate

Tuesday, January 15, 2019

"Red Cardinal Pine Cone" - Wood Box

  © All Rights Reserved
© All Rights Reserved
(Click on image to enlarge)

I made a Northern Cardinal bird, pine cone, and red berry wood box, using a playing card box.

I created this using a 3-ply paper Christmas napkin, which I separated to use only the ply with the image on it. I removed all of the box hardware first. Then I painted the box using Apple Barrel Antique Parchment and let it dry. Next I used Liquitex Matte Gel as my decoupage medium, and put the napkin onto the box top and sides of the top. I used plastic wrap to press down on the napkin, and also used a brayer across the top of the plastic wrap that was on top of the napkin. (See: How To Decoupage with Paper Napkins (plastic wrap tip). )

Once that was dry, I applied one coat of Liquitex Gloss Gel as a sealer. I was happy to see that the napkin ink didn't run when I did that. But the coat dried with brush strokes that could be felt, so I did the second coat using Delta Ceramcoat Gloss Interior Varnish as the sealer.

I decided to use parts of the napkin as inner panels in the bottom inside of the playing card box. I used the same decoupage steps as above. However, for the first coat of sealer, I used the Delta Ceramcoat Gloss Interior Varnish as the sealer, and the ink ran. It wasn't too bad, and gave it a somewhat distressed look, which I was okay with.

But it was a lesson learned: from now on, use Liquitex Gloss Gel as the first coat for the sealer, so the ink doesn't run, then use the Delta Ceramcoat Gloss Interior Varnish as the second coat, to get a smoother finish without brush strokes in it.

1 comment:

Krisha said...

Your box turned out fabulous! I'm sure Teddy helped some LOL!
Belated T-day wishes.