Legal Notice

Legal Notice to all visitors: Google hosts this site and uses certain Blogger and Google cookies, including, but not limited to, Google Analytics and AdSense cookies. By remaining on this site, you are consenting to the use of Google cookies and other data collection by Google.

"Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster..." ― Friedrich W. Nietzsche

Definition of Bigot: a person who is intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group with hatred and intolerance.

"When the whole world is running towards a cliff, he who is running in the opposite direction appears to have lost his mind." ― C. S. Lewis

See Disclaimer of Endorsement at the bottom of this page.

Translate

Sunday, October 18, 2009

"Engineers Card" - Credit Card

© All Rights Reserved
Capital One® credit card claims you can upload your own image for use on their credit card, as long as it complies with their standards requirements. I created this Engineers Card using Leonardo da Vinci’s Vitruvian Man, which is in the public domain and in widespread use worldwide, as well. Yet they denied approval of my image, for the reason:

“Material that could infringe on the copyright or trademark rights of another party, including branded products, marks, or business names

If you believe that you have been declined in error, please call us”

I called them, and I won’t go into the details of the long, circular conversation I had with their representative, who kept mentioning copyright, and finally said that I needed the artist’s permission to use the image. I had already stated the artist was da Vinci, the year the image was created, and that it was in the public domain and therefore not a copyright violation. I asked her how was I supposed to get the permission of an artist who had been dead for more than 70 years, and that by copyright law, I didn’t need to.

3 comments:

joy said...

It seems you hit a big "roadblock" with that gal, Anne! If you really want to use it; I would pursue it with her supervisor or head of the department.

Your idea is very clever - I hope you are given permission to use it!

Mary said...

Great credit card! This does sound like typical credit card company run around. I had to cancel a card once because we just couldn't resolve my issue logically using their ridiculous rules. They didn't seem to care that I was taking my business elsewhere. Rules are rules no matter how inane! Hahaha!

el papoudance said...

:-))))

http://mona-est-toujours-dans-le-show-bises.over-blog.com/

Léo est vieux ....
mais Mona est joyeuse ...
amitiés


Leo is old ....
but Mona is happy ...
friendships
:-)))