Legal Notice


Legal Notice to all visitors: Google hosts this site and uses certain Blogger and Google cookies, including, but not limited to, Google Analytics and AdSense cookies. By remaining on this site, you are consenting to the use of Google cookies.

This is an ad-free blog
zone. (See Disclaimer of Endorsement at the bottom of this site.)

Translate

Saturday, March 5, 2016

"Animals Shooting C. Allen Foster" - Postcard

© All Rights Reserved
(Click on image to enlarge)
This week’s Sunday Postcard Art challenge was "Mad as a March Hare."

My piece was inspired by recent events, and is a "cartoon" in the same vein as Charlie Hebdo cartoons.

After Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia died at the Cibolo Creek Ranch Valentine's Day Weekend, the public learned that he was there for another one of his many "all expenses paid" trips.

Mr. Scalia's travelling companion and close friend was C. Allen Foster, a lawyer in the Washington firm Whiteford, Taylor and Preston. He is also the Secretary of the International Order of St. Hubertus (IOSH) (2014 - present), and the Chancellor of the IOSH-USA, Inc. (2014 - present).

John B. Poindexter, the Cibolo Creek Ranch owner, is a Prior of the International Order of St. Hubertus, an all-male hunting club.

There is a saying that actions speak louder than words, and how Mr. Scalia ruled during his tenure on the Supreme Court is what matters, not the words he used while litigants were in front of him.

There is also a saying that one can judge a man by the company he keeps. Mr. Scalia's friend Mr. Foster bragged about killing rhinoceros and causing animal extinction.

My piece displays my contempt for Mr. Foster and everyone of his ilk: There is a special place in Hell, for people who kill animals nearing extinction.

My piece contains various ciphers, symbols, and messages.

I created this using GIMP 2.8.16.

The vintage images are from an Internet search. (See the side of my blog for links.)

I used a mix of quotes from C. Allen Foster (as quoted by The New Yorker, from "an autobiographical portrait for the fiftieth reunion of the Princeton Class of 1963"), other sources, and my own words in this piece.

C. Allen Foster:

"You're only as old as your current wife."

"I've also been pursuing my passion - killing things. I'm sure many of you have become mamby-pamby girly men and think that killing things is oh, so redneck and lower class. Well, you'll be delighted to know that I generally go killing things with Continental royalty and English nobility, and we look down on the rednecks just like you do."

"I am pleased to report that I've killed lots of elephants, lions, buffalo, leopards, kudu, deer and the last legally shot black rhinoceros, together with more than 150,000 birds of various species. When the last duck comes flying over with a sign around his neck 'I am the last duck,' I will shoot it. It also won't surprise you that I still rail against liberals, the academic kleptocracy, Washington bureaucrats and feminazis."

9 comments:

Karla B said...

Anne, I love this!

Lori Saul said...

Your cards are always so unique and creative- this is amazing!

Kimbopolo said...

Love the work and agree with your sentiments.
Kim

Ginger said...

I love your post Card and your take on the theme.
Carol x

Pippa Koenig said...

...so many follower! You are a great artist! P.

Annie said...

A postcard of purpose. Filled with interesting details and the story and information behind it. It is always fabulous when an artist creates from the heart.

Linda Gibbons said...

Great card, and what a horrible man!

Deann said...

Love your hilarious postcard it is fabulous...great details.

Kay Wallace said...

I love your humor-injected postcards as a rule, Anne, but this one is not only full of humor but interest and things that make you go, "Hmmmmmmmm!" Bravo!